Conway repeats lawyer’s claim: Trump didn’t admit to being under investigation

kellyanne_conway_gty.jpg

“That’s the president responding to a Washington Post report,” Kellyanne Conway says, | Getty

When President Donald Trump wrote online last week that “I am being investigated for firing the FBI Director,” it was not an admission that he is indeed being investigated, counselor to the president Kellyanne Conway said Monday morning, but instead a Twitter-shortened reaction to media coverage of ongoing probes into his 2016 campaign.

Conway’s insistence Monday morning that Trump’s tweet last Friday was not what it seemed followed in the footsteps of the president’s personal attorney, Jay Sekulow, who said Sunday in an array of political talk show appearances that regardless of what he has written online, Trump is not under investigation.

Story Continued Below

The president’s statement on Friday that “I am being investigated for firing the FBI Director by the man who told me to fire the FBI Director” was simply a response to a Washington Post report that special counselor Robert Mueller had widened his investigation to include an examination of whether or not Trump committed obstruction of justice. Conway reiterated that argument Monday morning.

“That’s president’s personal lawyer. He’s saying that nobody has ever notified the president that he’s under investigation,” Conway told Fox News’s “Fox & Friends” host Ainsley Earhardt. “That’s the president responding to a Washington Post report that included five anonymous sources. And that’s the president, in his 140 characters, through his significant social media platform, Ainsley, telling everybody, ‘wow, look at the irony here.’”

http://www.politico.com